Maine Organizing and Research Intern, Spring 2022
The Research and Organizing Intern will support Community Action Works’s community organizing efforts in Maine by assisting with the program, administration and fundraising aspects of our work. They will work closely with the Maine State Director, Dana Colihan.
The intern will primarily assist in Community Action Works’s ongoing program activities and they will be responsible for helping to identify and support communities in need of Community Action Works’s assistance from behind the scenes. These activities will include the following, as needed: attending community meetings, assisting local groups in planning events, helping with campaign research, scanning the media, writing letters to the editor and more.
The intern will also be in charge of at least one of the three projects below, to be completed by the end of their internship:
- Media or Social Media Campaign: Plan, develop and produce a video or social media campaign to support a community group we are currently working with to further their organizing.
- Skills you will develop: Digital Organizing, Communications
- Policy Research Report: Write an in-depth research report on a key environmental and public health issue for a group with which we are currently organizing to further their campaign!
- Skills you will develop: Research, Policy
- Campaign Issue Case Studies: Help compile, organize, and summarize examples of past Community Action Works campaigns on a specific environmental issue. May include the opportunity to interview current and former activists.
- Skills you will develop: Synthesizing Information, Communications
- Scan the news and refer promising leads to staff
- Write and pitch letters to the editor that support our local organizing efforts
- Research and write memos on legislative, legal, regulatory, and corporate campaign processes for community groups facing a pollution threat in their neighborhood (campaigns based on community need)
- Assist with Community Action Works or community group campaign event logistics.
- Participate in other campaign tactics as needed (databasing, attending in person and/or online events, writing memos, etc.)
- Assist with ongoing fundraising activities such as tracking supporters, sending out cultivation pieces, and helping to organize house parties.
- Support organizational administrative tasks
- Commitment to environmental issues and social change
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Desire to develop event planning and outreach skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work efficiently
- Ability to work independently
Click here to apply. This is an unpaid spring semester internship. We are able to work with students applying for course credit and scholarship through their school. Minimum commitment of 10 hours per week.
We are still monitoring the COVID-19 situation and this internship may be in person, online, or a blended model. If in person, this internship will be located at our Maine Office. Strong preference will be given to candidates with a connection to Maine.
Community Action Works is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to a diverse workplace and a diverse movement. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.