“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
At Community Action Works, we believe that environmental threats are big, but the power of well-organized community groups is bigger. That’s why we offer training and other assistance to everyday people who are organizing to confront pollution and the harm it’s causing in their communities. Since 1987, we have worked with more than 1,000 communities and trained more than 20,000 local activists across the Northeast. This year we ran 160 trainings, held 350 leadership coaching sessions, and organized over 200 side-by-side actions.
Community Action Works is seeking a Deputy Director.
Key responsibilities Include:
- Help Community Action Works fulfill our core mission of providing a clearinghouse of training, strategic advice and other resources for people and groups in local communities working to solve pollution and other environmental threats, especially in the most impacted communities.
- Help recruit and manage the Action Works staff, including a digital organizer and a field organizer.
- Organize our annual conference and other training and fundraising events, including those marking our 35th anniversary.
- Identify and cultivate our donors and funders through donor visits, grant-seeking, canvassing and other grassroots fundraising tactics.
- Strategically employ the power of The Public Interest Network to connect local activists with the issue expertise they need to win and the advocacy campaigns they need to expand their impact.
Candidates should have 5 years experience organizing and training community leaders, managing staff, fundraising and organizing large events. Candidates should also have passion and enthusiasm for working alongside community members to train them to be leaders and take on environmental threats. Candidates must show excellent judgment and discretion, and have the ability to oversee significant projects.
Boston, MA preferred. Other New England based locations may be considered.
Pay and Benefits:
Compensation for this position is $40,000 – $75,000 and is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience and/or advanced degrees. We offer a competitive benefits package, opportunities for advancement, and training.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.
Apply online at https://communityactionworks.org/jobs/job-form/. Direct your application to Leigh Anne Cole, Acting Executive Director. Please state the position you are applying for and location in your cover letter. We’ll review your application and if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.
Community Action Works is part of the Public Interest Network. Read more about us and our organizational values here.
Community Action Works is an equal opportunity employer.