Connecticut Community Organizer based in New Haven or Hartford
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
At Community Action Works (formerly known as Toxics Action Center), we believe that environmental threats are big, but the power of well-organized community groups is bigger. That’s why we work side by side with everyday people to confront those who are polluting and harming the health of our communities. We partner with the people who are most impacted by environmental problems, especially Black, Indigenous, communities of color and poor communities, training them with the know-how anyone would need to make change in their own backyard. Because when neighbors know how to make change, they can build the power to transform our world.
To be the best organizers we can be, we’re diving deep into what it means for us to be undoing racism and classism in every aspect of our work and are committed to evolving our work and organization accordingly.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Community organizing workshops and leadership development: You will conduct community group workshops on core organizing skills and hold one-on-one coaching, relationship building, and leadership development sessions with community group leaders—with a focus on the most impacted communities. For now, we are holding our trainings and meetings over Zoom and conference call.
- Campaign development and campaign strategy: You will identify the most profound local environmental threats in Connecticut and build relationships with key local leaders, particularly in Black, Indigenous and communities of color and poor communities. You’ll work with leaders to identify solutions to local environmental problems and research and develop creative strategies to win, including building coalitions.
- Communications and organizational visibility: You will work to increase the organization’s media presence and name recognition through events, news releases, campaign materials, and online organizing.
- Networking and movement-building event planning: You will help organize a 500-person grassroots conference and other movement-building events (if and when social distancing is no longer required). You will hold one-to-one meetings with key organizational partners.
- Fundraising: You will identify and cultivate donors, assist with grant-writing, and participate in other grassroots fundraising tactics including door-to-door canvassing, letter writing, and events.
- Organizational development: You will join in implementing our strategic three-year plan, which includes updating our training program and joining our staff-wide process to center racial and class equity.
Candidates must have at least one year of related work experience, such as community organizing, campaign coordination, environmental advocacy, or coalition building. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience organizing in multi-racial, multi-generational, and multi-class settings, has strategic thinking and effective facilitation skills, and is passionate about community organizing, movement building, and racial, economic and environmental justice. Candidates need to have a driver’s license and a car that they are willing and able to drive for work. Organizers must exercise excellent judgment and discretion and have the ability to oversee significant projects.
Community Organizers can be based in Hartford or New Haven, CT. All work is currently remote.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience and/or advanced degrees. We offer a competitive benefits package, opportunities for advancement, and training.
Apply online. Direct your application to Megan Stokes, Development Director, and include what position you are applying to. We’ll review your application and if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.
Community Action Works is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com