- This event has passed.
Environmental Justice and Nuclear Waste Tour: Montpelier, VT
September 19, 2018 @ 1:00 am - 3:00 am UTC+0
Learn more about environmental justice and nuclear waste!
The Vermont Yankee Decommissioning Alliance (VYDA) and the Citizens’ Awareness Network (CAN) have organized a New England High Level Nuclear Waste (HLNW) Tour this fall. The tour will bring speakers from the U.S. and Europe to discuss nuclear waste, environmental justice and direct action as well as the refusal by the federal government and the nuclear industry to deal with high-level nuclear waste (HLNW), which is stranded at Vermont Yankee and other nuclear sites throughout the country.
• Kerstin Rudek, Bürgerinitiative Umweltschutz Lüchow‑Dannenberg (Germany), organizer of the
successful opposition to HLNW transport to Gorleben.
• Leona Morgan, Navajo Nation organizer who has been fighting Nuclear Colonialism since 2007. • Tim Judson, CAN president, executive director of Nuclear Information and Resource Service.
• Diane Turco, Cape Downwinders, advocate for the immediate closure of Pilgrim Nuclear Power
Plant in Plymouth.
• Deb Katz, CAN, who will address the issues of NorthStar’s decommissioning goals, including
sending HLNW from Vermont Yankee to west Texas.
• Chris Williams, CAN and VT Yankee Decommissioning Alliance.
This event is part of an educational tour on environmental justice and nuclear waste hosted by the Citizen’s Awareness Network, Vermont Yankee Decommissioning Alliance and the Safe and Green Coalition.
For more information, see nukebusters.org.